Skip to main content

How Many Attributes Do I Have?

Characteristics of a concept - its attributes - are central to definitions.  But to what extent should the characteristics of a concept be listed in its definition?  Should it be few, or some, or as many as possible?  As a step in beginning to answer that question, I think that we need to ask if we can reliably determine all the characteristics that a concept possesesses.  And I now intend to see if I can answer that question by finding out if I can list all the attributes that I possess.

I am aware that I am an instance and not a concept (at least a general concept).  However, I would submit that there is a prima facie case that I should be able to provide a list of my attributes.   If such a list could be produced, then we couldn see if the attributes apply to the concept I am an instance of (humans).  We could then move on to figuring out what attributes should or should not be included in a definition.  But, if I cannot even reliably figure out what attributes I have, then I may have difficulties I have not yet recognized in the method I have chosen to get answers to the questions I am posing.

It is easy to start listing out all the physical characteristics I possess: height, weight, eye color, and so on.  I could add some non-material ones too, such as age, and IQ score.  However, from my experience as a data modeler and developer, these seem rather trivial.  I have come across many examples of database tables such as Customer, where I could conceivably be represented by a record.  These tables have columns (representing attributes) for e.g. Customer Lifetime Value, Customer Sales Year to Date, Customer Average Order Size, and so on.  I would guess that every company for which I am a customer maintains such attributes to describe me. 

Actually, I am guessing.  I know I possess a height, weight, eye color, etc, because I know what these attibutes are and I know I possess them.  However, when it comes to a company of which I am a customer, say, Big Box Super Store, it is not so clear.  Specifically: (a) I do not really know what attributes Big Box Super Store considers I have; and (b) I do not know how Big Box Super Store defines each of these attributes. 

Many of the Customer tables I have seen have had hundreds of columns (attributes).  Some have had thousands.  At this scale, even when working with these tables it is difficult to keep track of all the attributes they are representing.  Admittedly, the tables were not always designed well, and included columns that represented attributes that were not truly part of Customer.  But even allowing for this, the scale is still great.  Furthermore, Big Box Super Store is not the only company I buy from.  I probably have a similar relationship with about 50 other companies.  So the total number of attributes I have as a result of these relationships is certainly in the thousands, maybe in the tens of thousands.

It could be argued that many of these attributes are really the same.  Suppose Big Box Super Store calculates Customer Lifetime Value the same way as Hardbitten Liquors (of which I am also a customer).  Then, are we talking about one attribute or two?  As a practical problem, however, I cannot give an answer to this because I do not know how each company is calculating the attribute each calls "Customer Lifetime Value", or how each defines this attribute.

What I strongly suspect is that I carry around with me a vast burden of attributes that companies, government agencies, educational institutions, and other organizations have heaped on me, mainly without my consent, and certainly without my knowing what they are.  Not as many as the grains of sand on the seashore, or stars in the night sky, but enough to wonder at.

So the answer to the question posed in the title is that I cannot reliably say how many attributes I have, but it must be a vast number, and some of them are likely to be outside my range of understanding.  Does this present an issue for definition work?  I think it does.  It suggests some kind of need for scoping.  It also suggests that I appear in different ontologies, and that my definition in each may vary.  But the Muse of Blogging now decrees an end to the current post, so these topics will have to be taken up when Her inspiration returns.       

Comments

Popular Posts

Create Your Own Social Networking Site

Create Your Own Social Networking Site JCOW: Ethical Hacking Top 10 reasons to choose Jcow:- 1. Handle more traffic - Clean codes and Dynamic caching can lower the CPU load and  speed up your website. 2 Make your site more interactive - Well designed Jcow applications help you members to connect and communicate with others more effectively. 3 Add questions to the Registration Form - You can add new member fields, which will be displayed to the registration form, profile form, and the member browsing form. 4 Easily share stuff - Within the AJAX sharing Box, your members can publish status,  photos, videos, and blogs. 5 Customize and Extend your Jcow Network - A Jcow network consists of core apps(like "Friends" and "Messages") and optional apps(like "Blogs" and ""Videos"). You can enable/disable optional apps. You can also develop your own apps. 6 Every profile could be Unique - Members can customize their own profile theme and  add music play

Frank Abagnale Criminal

Frank Abagnale Synopsis Frank Abagnale became notorious for impersonating a pilot, a doctor, and a laywer while in his early 20s. He was arrested at 21 by the French police, and later hired by the FBI to teach them his fradulent tricks. He started his own consultating agency, educating corporations, financial institutions and government agencies Early Life Frank Abagnale Jr. was born on April 27, 1948, in Bronxville, New York. He was one of four children born to parents Frank Abagnale Sr. and Paulette Abagnale. The couple met in Algiers during World War II, while Frank Sr. was stationed in Oran. After the war, they moved to New York, where Frank started a stationery business on Madison Avenue. Frank Jr. had a happy childhood, and was especially close to his father. When his mother decided unexpectedly to leave his father, however, the young Frank's life was turned upside-down. Not only were his siblings devastated, but so was his father, who was still very much in lov

The Meaning or Definition of Personality According to Experts

Etymological Meaning of Personality - English word 'Personality' has been derived from the Latin word 'Persona'. The word 'Persona' first used in Greek for meaning of theatrical mask which the Greek actors commonly used to wear on their face before coming to the stage for acting. In this sense, in the olden days personality was meant the outward appearance of a person. Today the term personality is explained in various ways. Definitions of Personality :- Personality has been defined by different psychologists in different ways. Following are some of the definitions of personality : According to R.B. Cattell - "Personality is that which permits a prediction of what a person will do in a given situation." According to Allport - "Personality is the dynamic organization within the individual of those psychological systems that determine his unique adjustment to his environment." According to Morton Prince - "Personality